The start of a new year is the perfect time in your beauty regime to set new goals for the year ahead. Whether you have overindulged during the festive period and are now suffering from post-Christmas breakouts or your new year’s resolution is to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle in 2024, January is the ideal time to look at your beauty regime and perhaps make the switch to vegan skincare.
At Nourish London, we are proud to be supporting Veganuary, an initiative which inspires and supports people to try vegan this January, whether it concerns their diet or they wish to adopt a complete vegan lifestyle. Here we are celebrating #PUREPLANTPOWER and the benefits of choosing plant-based skincare.
What are the benefits of Vegan skincare?
Better for animals
It almost goes without saying that vegan skincare is produced without harm to animals and it does not contain any animal ingredients, animal by-products or animal derived. Make sure you opt for Vegan and Cruelty Free so you know for sure that no animals were involved in the creation or testing of any ingredients or finished product. Read more on what Vegan and Cruelty Free certification means to animals here.
Kinder to your skin
Vegan products are kinder to hair and skin as well. Did you know? Our skin absorbs up to 60% of the products that we apply to it and the products absorbed by the skin go straight into the bloodstream. So, why not clean up your skincare regime this Veganuary?
Rich in vitamins and antioxidants
Another benefit of vegan skincare formulas is that the ingredients taken from plants are often more effective as they are richer in antioxidants, minerals and natural oils to help maintain the health of the skin. Vegan ingredients offer the following benefits:
- Superior moisturisation can be achieved with powerful oils such as Argan, Pumpkin, Macadamia or Borage oils. These provide Omega 6, which is crucial for maintaining a healthy barrier function, and omega 3 which helps to protect from the damaging effects of UV.
- Vitamin-rich ingredients such as citrus oils and Kale boost skin function when applied topically. Vitamin C is vital for the production of healthy collagen and B vitamins are important for regulating sebum and protecting the skin from breakouts.
- Increasingly important is pollution protection and this can be achieved with the remarkable enzyme system and vitamin complex from Kale and Griffonia.
Better for the planet
It’s a well known saying, but sometimes nature really does know best. Since it takes such good care of us it’s only fair that we give back too. The best vegan products are also natural and organic which means that they don’t harm the environment after use, as they don't break down into harmful components which can be reabsorbed into the environment.
Some ingredients commonly found in skincare can be animal-derived. Here are some ingredients to watch out for when choosing skincare and the vegan alternatives that are just as effective:
- Lanolin – Grease from sheep’s wool, extracted to be used as a wax in products such as face or lip balms.
Beeswax or Cera Alba – The wax produced by honey bees, often used in face and multi-task balms.
- Alternatives: Candelilla wax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba wax or Argan butter.
Glycerin – Frequently used in cleansers and soaps, it can come from animal fat.
- Alternatives: Plant-based glycerin, derived from vegetable sources, ideally organic.
Soap bases – Composed of fatty acids, glycerin, and other natural ingredients, soap bases can use animal fats, animal-derived glycerin, or other non-vegan ingredients such as Goat’s Milk.
- Alternatives: Vegetable derived soap bases, with plant-based ingredients.
Why Vegan doesn’t mean compromising on performance
If you believe that using vegan products might limit the efficacy of skincare, particularly in achieving benefits such as reducing fine lines and wrinkles, think again, as the supercharged anti-ageing ingredients like Hyaluronic acid and Peptides that we use at Nourish London are all derived from plants. So whatever your reason for choosing to go vegan, you do not have to compromise on the performance of your products, in fact you will be simply enjoying the powerful benefits of nature whilst helping to protect it.
Feel the difference of pure plant power this Veganuary with our scientifically developed 100% vegan certified, organic and cruelty-free skincare range powered by nature, which is kind to your skin and the planet.