Restore Your Mind, Body & Skin: Gentle Yoga for the Holidays
This simple yoga guide has been written by the amazing London-based Yoga Instructor, Mel Love.
Yoga does not need to be complicated. Sometimes we overcomplicate things and end up not doing anything at all because we think we can’t do something in the manner we think we should or in the manner our ‘ego’ wants.
Slow Down and Take Care of Yourself
This time of year is a great time to slow down, simplify things and take care of self. Yoga can involve something as easy as lighting a candle, sitting still and watching the flame burn. This is called Trataka sadhana (Trataka) and is a type of Hatha Yoga. I use a candle containing cinnamon and clove to really indulge the senses and make me feel like Christmas is near. Why not put on a face mask whilst you do it to really treat yourself. My favourite is the Nourish London Probiotic Multi-Mineral Repair Mask.
The candle gazing meditation (Trataka) helps bring energy to the third eye. The third eye is the gateway to the spiritual realm and higher consciousness. The third eye is located directly above the bridge of the nose between the eyebrows. Your intuition is linked to the third eye. The more the third eye opens, the more your intuition will grow.
Trataka is done with the eyes open. This helps with a wandering mind and let’s face it, help with that mind chatter is always welcomed. When your gaze is focused on the flame of the candle slowly everything else in the room will start to fade away. This allows your mind to focus fully on the candle and give you mental space away from your to-do list.
Follow the Steps
- Choose a quiet and darkened space where you will not be disturbed. Dim light is best for candle gazing so close the curtains if you do it during the day. Turn off distractions like your phone so you can fully dedicate time just for you.
- Sit on a chair, the floor or a cushion. Make sure you are comfortable. The candle flame should be at eye level and about 2 feet away.
- Stare at the candle and allow it to be the main focus of your mind. Hold your eyes steady even if you feel distracted or bored. The eyes will naturally water and this has a cleansing affect. Allow it to happen.
- As you gaze at the candle, breathe. Take long, slow, full breaths. Focus on the sensation of the light flowing into you with each inhalation. As time passes, the room around you will fade away until your only awareness is the flame.
- When your meditation is done, lay down and close your eyes for five minutes. This will allow your mind and body to come back to full awareness before you continue your day or better still do just before bed so you can go straight to sleep and no need to wash your face if you’ve put on the Probiotic Multi-Mineral Repair Mask as you can leave it on overnight for an intensive treat.